SPRINGFIELD–(ENEWSPF)–February 23, 2012. Effective February 27th, the Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs (IDVA) Veterans’ Service Office will move from its current location in Champaign back to its previous location at the Illinois National Guard Armory located at 600 East University in Urbana.
The new location will continue to be staffed by Veterans Service Officers (VSO) Terry Baer and Robbie Walker, who can be reached at (217) 278-3388 and (217) 278-3392, respectively. Office hours will be maintained daily from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The Urbana Veterans’ Service Office is part of a statewide network that serves about 1.2 million veterans by increasing awareness of available state and federal benefits. Offices are staffed by VSOs who provide accurate, up-to-date information, answer questions, assist with paperwork and filing of claims for federal, state and local benefits completely free of charge.
Assistance provided by VSOs includes:
- Compensation Benefits and Document Assistance – Combat and service-related bonus payments and compensation, DD214 certificates.
- Survivor and Burial Benefits – Graves registration, grave markers.
- Educational Benefits – G.I. Bill, Troops to Teachers, Scholarships.
- Employment Benefits – Employment preference, Jobs for Vets program.
- Real Estate and Permits – Homestead and Disabled Veterans Standard Homestead exemptions, Adapted Housing exemptions, camping and admissions fees, hunting and fishing licenses.
- Referral Assistance – Facilitating access to federal VA health care and counseling services.
- Illinois Veterans Homes – Assist in applying for admission to one of four state-managed homes throughout Illinois.
For more information, please visit www.veterans.illinois.gov or call 1-800-437-9824.