Law and Order, Local Police Reports, Park Forest

Man Tased in Olympia Fields After Allegedly Fleeing from Police in Park Forest

pfpd, police, street dedication, timstrong, park forest
Police have your back, this one at the Officer Tim Jones Street Dedication, March 19, 2018. (Photo: Gary Kopycinski)

Park Forest, IL-(ENEWSPF)- A Chicago Heights man faces multiple charges in two jurisdictions after allegedly fleeing police first from Olympia Fields and then Park Forest.

Jaleel Triplett, 23, 8 Olympic Village #2D, Chicago Heights, on July 25 and charged with driving while license was suspended, no insurance, one count of fleeing and eluding a police officer, one count of reckless driving and issued citations charging disobeying a stop sign, disobeying a stop sign, and disobeying a traffic control signal.

An officer was in the area of Orchard Drive and Illinois Street at 10:35 AM when he was alerted via radio that the Olympia Fields Police Department officers observed a white Honda CRV turning southbound onto Orchard Drive from Lincoln Highway. According to police, this vehicle was suspected of being used in a previously reported armed robbery in Olympia Fields, according to police.

Two Olympia Fields Police Department officers advised that they were behind his vehicle in a white unmarked car and were traveling southbound on Orchard Drive at Illinois Street. A check through LEADS of this vehicle’s registration confirmed that CRV had been previously reported stolen out of Park Forest, according to police.

A Park Forest police officer responded to assist the officers from Olympia Fields and observed them follow the vehicle onto Indiana Street from Orchard Drive. The Olympia Fields Police Department officers then turned onto Grant Street from Indiana Street at which time the officer from Park Forest got behind them.

The officer observed the Honda CRV traveling eastbound on Grant Street, head-on towards his police vehicle, according to the report. The officer activated his emergency police lights at which time the Honda CRV allegedly made an evasive turn off the roadway onto Logan Park in an alleged attempt to flee, according to police.

he CRV then drove eastbound through Logan Park onto Orchard Drive where it continued northbound on Orchard Drive at a high rate of speed, according to police. The officer from Park Forest pursued the vehicle and observed it turn westbound onto Illinois Street from Orchard Drive allegedly without stopping at the stop sign at the intersection, according to police.

The CRV then continued northbound onto Springfield Street and then eastbound onto Seward Street. It continued to travel onto northbound Orchard Drive from Seward Street allegedly without stopping at the intersection stop sign, according to police.

The CRV then turned eastbound on Lincoln Highway from Orchard Drive allegedly without stopping at the red light at that intersection, according to police.

The Park Forest officer pursued the CRV and noted that his squad car’s approximate speed was 84 miles per hour, according to the report. The vehicle then continued northbound on Brookwood Drive and then turned eastbound onto Sparta Court at which time the vehicle stopped in front of a residence in the 20000 block of Sparta Court.

A man, later identified as Jaleel Triplett, emerged the vehicle and allegedly fled on foot to the rear of the residence where he had stopped the car, according to police. The officer from Park Forest observed that when Mr. Triplett exited the vehicle he appeared to be holding an unknown black object in his hand.

Another officer from Park Forest arrived on the scene simultaneously and pursued Mr. Triplett on foot on the west side of that residence. The original officer pursued the CRV pursued on foot on the east side of the same address. Officers from Olympia Fields arrived on the scene to assist.

Mr. Triplett then ran to the rear of a home in the 2600 block of W. 207th St. where he allegedly forced entry to the rear sunporch of that home. Mr. Triplett was given commands to stop and he ultimately put his hands up and then allegedly fled from the rear of his home, according to police.

All responding officers continue to pursue Mr. Triplett at which time an officer from Park Forest deployed his Taser. His Taser made contact with Mr. Triplett at which time Mr. Triplett fell to the ground and was taken into custody and handcuffed, according to police.

Mr. Triplett was turned over to Olympia Fields Police officers with additional charges pending.