Local Police Reports

Daytona Beach Man Sentenced for Possessing Child Pornography

Orlando, FL–(ENEWSPF)– U.S. Attorney A. Brian Albritton announces that U.S. District Judge John Antoon II on Friday sentenced Justin Edward Halbsgut (age 23, of Daytona Beach) to 42 months in federal prison for possessing child pornography. The court also ordered Halbsgut to forfeit his computers and hard drives that had been used to facilitate the offense. Halbsgut had pleaded guilty on May 11, 2010.

According to court documents, on August 15, 2006, FBI agents obtained a federal search warrant for Halbsgut’s residence in Daytona Beach, Florida, to search for child pornography. They found a network of four computers in the home, linking together all the data contained in two servers, two desktops, and two laptops. The network had been put together by Halbsgut. Forensic examination of the data on the network revealed more than 300 images of child pornography depicting victims previously identified by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

Halbsgut voluntarily agreed to speak with FBI agents and admitted to possessing images of child pornography that he had downloaded from the Internet.

This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse. Led by the United States Attorneys’ Offices and the Criminal Division’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section (CEOS), Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state, and local resources to locate, apprehend, and prosecute individuals who exploit children via the Internet, and to identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit www.projectsafechildhood.gov. For more information about internet safety education, visit www.projectsafechildhood.gov and click on the tab "other resources" or visit the Attorney General of Florida’s website www.safeflorida.net.

This case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. It was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Bruce S. Ambrose.