Unemployment Insurance Weekly Claims Report for Week Ending July 9, 2016

Washington, DC–(ENEWSPF)–July 14, 2016

SEASONALLY ADJUSTED DATA

In the week ending July 9, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims was 254,000, unchanged from the previous week’s unrevised level of 254,000. The 4-week moving average was 259,000, a decrease of 5,750 from the previous week’s unrevised average of 264,750.

There were no special factors impacting this week’s initial claims. This marks 71 consecutive weeks of initial claims below 300,000, the longest streak since 1973.

The advance seasonally adjusted insured unemployment rate was 1.6 percent for the week ending July 2, an increase of 0.1 percentage point from the previous week’s revised rate. The previous week’s rate was revised down by 0.1 from 1.6 to 1.5 percent.

The advance number for seasonally adjusted insured unemployment during the week ending July 2 was 2,149,000, an increase of 32,000 from the previous week’s revised level. The previous week’s level was revised down by 7,000 from 2,124,000 to 2,117,000.

The 4-week moving average was 2,143,000, a decrease of 3,250 from the previous week’s revised average. The previous week’s average was revised down by 2,000 from 2,148,250 to 2,146,250.

UNADJUSTED DATA

The advance number of actual initial claims under state programs, unadjusted, totaled 298,862 in the week ending July 9, an increase of 31,425 (or 11.8 percent) from the previous week. The seasonal factors had expected an increase of 31,747 (or 11.9 percent) from the previous week. There were 344,471 initial claims in the comparable week in 2015.

The advance unadjusted insured unemployment rate was 1.5 percent during the week ending July 2, unchanged from the prior week. The advance unadjusted number for persons claiming UI benefits in state programs totaled 2,032,539, a decrease of 12,077 (or -0.6 percent) from the preceding week. The seasonal factors had expected a decrease of 42,332 (or -2.1 percent) from the previous week. A year earlier the rate was 1.7 percent and the volume was 2,235,705.

The total number of people claiming benefits in all programs for the week ending June 25 was 2,083,364, an increase of 36,037 from the previous week. There were 2,181,870 persons claiming benefits in all programs in the comparable week in 2015.

No state was triggered “on” the Extended Benefits program during the week ending June 25.

Initial claims for UI benefits filed by former Federal civilian employees totaled 794 in the week ending July 2, an increase of 189 from the prior week. There were 1,116 initial claims filed by newly discharged veterans, an increase of 73 from the preceding week.

There were 7,419 former Federal civilian employees claiming UI benefits for the week ending June 25, an increase of 209 from the previous week. Newly discharged veterans claiming benefits totaled 13,350, an increase of 141 from the prior week.

The highest insured unemployment rates in the week ending June 25 were in Puerto Rico (3.2), Alaska (2.9), Connecticut (2.7), New Jersey (2.4), Pennsylvania (2.4), Wyoming (2.4), West Virginia (2.3), California (2.2), Illinois (2.0), and Rhode Island (2.0).

The largest increases in initial claims for the week ending July 2 were in Kentucky (+5,386), New York (+4,670), Ohio (+1,508), Illinois (+1,423), and South Carolina (+937), while the largest decreases were in California (-3,819), New Jersey (-1,859), Connecticut (-1,694), Maryland (-1,307), and Oregon (-1,230).

Source: http://www.dol.gov

error: Alert: Content is protected !!