NEW YORK–(ENEWSPF)–August 15, 2016. Donald Trump is set to give an address on terrorism tomorrow in Youngstown, and if recent history is any indicator, it’s sure to be filled with fiction and hypocrisy. Perhaps he’ll finally reveal the content of his secret ISIS plan, but more likely he’ll just re-up his favorite tall tales. So before he delivers his speech, here are the actual facts on Hillary Clinton’s real record and her plan to combat terrorism – and on Donald Trump’s ever-growing list of foreign policy lies.
Donald Trump’s Foreign Policy Fiction
Over the course of the campaign, Trump has put forth one falsehood after the next, trash-talking America and our leaders with ridiculous smears and using outrageous lies to stoke fears and division for personal gain. Trump’s foreign policy comments range from long-debunked false attacks on Hillary Clinton to fact-free rhetoric about global issues that makes us less secure. Here are a handful of his most egregious whoppers:
PolitiFact: Donald Trump’s Pants on Fire claim that Barack Obama ‘founded’ ISIS, Hillary Clinton was ‘cofounder’
FactCheck.org: Trump’s ISIS Conspiracy Theory: “Donald Trump said a report on a conservative news site proved he was ‘right’ in suggesting President Obama supported terrorists. It doesn’t.”
PolitiFact: Donald Trump says before Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State ‘ISIS was not even on the map.’ | Mostly False
PolitiFact: Donald Trump wrongly blames Hillary Clinton for creation of ISIS: “‘Hillary Clinton invented ISIS with her stupid policies,’ Trump said in an interview that aired July 17. ‘She is responsible for ISIS.’ Trump has made this claim repeatedly. It’s wrong, and we’ll explain why.”
Washington Post Fact Checker: Trump’s false claim that he opposed the Iraq war
PolitiFact: Trump still wrong on his claim that opposed Iraq War ahead of the invasion
PolitiFact: Donald Trump did not warn the Iraq War would ‘destabilize the Middle East’ before it started: “We find no evidence of Trump warning about regional destabilization before or after the war started.”
BuzzFeed: Trump In 2006: Clinton Should Be Forgiven For Iraq Vote “Based On Lies Given To Her”
AP Fact Check: “As for the manner of the U.S. withdrawal, Trump actually wanted U.S. troops out years earlier than Obama brought them out.”
Washington Post Fact Checker: Trump’s false claim that Saddam Hussein was ‘so good’ at ‘killing terrorists’ | Four Pinnochios
FactCheck.org: Trump Wrong on Iraqi Oil: “Donald Trump falsely claimed Iran is “taking over the oil” in Iraq. Experts told us Iran does not control any Iraqi oil fields, and we could find no evidence of it.”
PolitiFact: Trump says Iran deal forces U.S. to defend Iran if it’s attacked by Israel | False
AP Fact Check: Trump’s Iranian propaganda video a concoction
AP Fact Check: Trump off base on Clinton and Iran payment: “Trump is wrong about Clinton’s involvement. The $400 million payment — plus $1.3 billion in interest to be paid later — is a separate issue from the Iran nuclear deal that Clinton initiated. The process that resulted in the payout started decades before she became secretary of state.”
Washington Post Fact Checker: Trump’s remarkable suggestion that Clinton’s emails led to an Iranian defector’s death | Four Pinnochios
AP Fact Check: Trump’s misreading of Iran Deal: “Donald Trump entertained an Iowa audience Thursday with an animated account of how he would have wrung a better nuclear deal out of Iran if he’d been president when it was negotiated. But there was more fable than fact in his soliloquy.”
PolitiFact: Donald Trump gets a Full Flop for whether he’s had a relationship to Vladimir Putin
Washington Post: The Trump campaign denies its own Ukraine policy
Daily Beast: Trump Campaign Changed Ukraine Platform, Lied About It
Washington Post Fact Checker: Trump’s claim that the U.S. pays the ‘lion’s share’ for NATO | Three Pinnochios
AP Fact Check: Trump gets much wrong on Ukraine
CNN: Trump says Putin is ‘not going to go into Ukraine,’ despite Crimea
PolitiFact: Wrong: Donald Trump says there’s ‘no system to vet’ refugees
Washington Post Fact Checker: Trump’s outrageous claim that ‘thousands’ of New Jersey Muslims celebrated the 9/11 attacks | Four Pinnochios
AP Fact Check: Facts undercut Trump’s post-Orlando arguments
Talking Points Memo: Trump: Orlando Shooter Was Only Here Because Of Our Immigration System: “Law enforcement officials said Sunday that Omar Mateen was born in New York.”
ThinkProgress: Trump Justifies Muslim Ban With Wildly Misleading Claim About ISIS-Themed Cell Phones
PolitiFact: Donald Trump’s Pants on Fire claim he never discussed Libya intervention
BuzzFeed: Trump In 2011 Praised Hosni Mubarak’s Ouster As A “Good Thing”: “Donald Trump criticized the Obama administration for supporting the removal of Egypt’s president Hosni Mubarak in 2011… On multiple occasions in 2011, however, Trump ridiculed Mubarak and called his ouster a positive thing.”
FactCheck.org: “[Trump] blamed Clinton for the resignation of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak. But Clinton and former Defense Secretary Robert Gates both urged President Obama not to be quick to abandon support for Mubarak.”
PolitiFact: Donald Trump says ‘our nuclear arsenal doesn’t work’ | False
AP Fact Check: “TRUMP: ‘We’re fighting in Yemen.’ THE FACTS: Only a small number of U.S. special operations troops are in Yemen and they’ve not been near the fighting.”
PolitiFact: Donald Trump says Hillary Clinton ‘slept’ through Benghazi attack | False
ABC Fact Check: Trump Repeats Myth About Benghazi and More: “His characterization of Clinton’s role in the Sept. 11, 2012, attacks in Benghazi, Libya, that killed four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens, was entirely erroneous.”
CNN on Peter Schweizer, author of Clinton Cash: “The author of a book alleging some Clinton Foundation donors received favorable treatment while Hillary Clinton was secretary of state said Sunday that he did not have ‘direct evidence’ of any impropriety”
PolitiFact: Donald Trump mischaracterizes FBI director comment about Hillary Clinton’s email practices: “Trump said, ‘Just look at what the FBI director said about her (Hillary Clinton) — her misconduct is a disgrace and embarrassment to our country.’ The Trump campaign indicated Comey said it during his news conference. He didn’t.”
FactCheck.org: “Trump claimed Clinton ‘illegally’ stored emails on her private server while secretary of state, and deleted 33,000 to cover-up ‘her crime.’ But the FBI cleared Clinton of criminal wrongdoing, and found no evidence of a cover-up.”
Hillary Clinton’ Record And Plan To Defeat ISIS
For all his lies and fear mongering, Donald Trump has yet to lay out any actual policies that would help us combat global terrorism. Unlike Trump, Hillary Clinton is a serious, responsible leader who has laid out serious, responsible plans.
Here’s the short version of her plan to fight ISIS – perhaps Donald Trump should take some notes:
- First, we need to take out ISIS’s strongholds in the Middle East by intensifying the coalition air campaign, supporting our partners on the ground, and pursuing diplomacy to end Syria’s civil war and close Iraq’s sectarian divide, because those conflicts are keeping ISIS alive.
- Second, we need to lash up with our allies to dismantle the global network that supplies money, arms, propaganda and fighters to the terrorists. This means targeted efforts to root out ISIS hubs and affiliates and preventing terrorist organizations from establishing hubs elsewhere, choking off the networks that facilitate their growth and expansion.
- And third, we need to harden our defenses at home, including by launching an intelligence surge to ensure law enforcement has the information they need to detect and disrupt plots, working with Silicon Valley to shut down terrorist propaganda online, and keeping guns out of the hands of suspected terrorists. Hillary has also proposed establishing a “lone wolf” task force to identify and stop radicalized individuals who may or may not have contact and direction from any formal organization.
And Clinton’s record shows that she has the toughness and the leadership to actually get things done and make America, and the world, more secure:
- Hillary Clinton personally negotiated an end to Hamas rockets raining down on Israel in 2012 and worked to build stronger defense programs for Israel, including upgrading the Iron Dome rocket defense system, which has saved the lives of so many Israelis.
- She engaged in back-channel diplomacy with Iran, dispatching senior aides for secret talks that led to international negotiations. She understood that unilateral sanctions were insufficient, so she went to work to create an international coalition. She twisted arms to convince even the Chinese and Russians to get on board and put into place crippling sanctions that eventually brought Iran to the negotiating table, leading to a historic deal that blocks its pathways to a nuclear weapon.
- Clinton also met and spoke repeatedly with Russian leaders to secure their support, along with the support of China and the rest of the UN Security Council, to impose unprecedented sanctions against North Korea for its nuclear and missile programs.
- She oversaw negotiation and worked to ensure ratification of the New START treaty, which will make the world safer by reducing U.S. and Russian nuclear arsenals to their smallest size in 50 years.
- Clinton took strides to expand collaboration on countering terrorism at home and abroad. She worked to increase information sharing with our allies. Working with the Department of Defense, State helped develop a fund to provide security assistance to partners and biometric screening programs were expanded in coordination with Homeland Security. And under her leadership, the State Department supported enhanced international security cooperation.
You have used up your free articles for this month. To continue reading click here to login or subscribe.