Washington, DC –(ENEWSPF)—March 6, 2017. Statement by NOW President Terry O’Neill:
On March 8, International Women’s Day, women around the country will strike to demand gender equality. The National Organization for Women will proudly take action for human rights alongside them.
Women do work of enormous economic value–for unequal or insufficient compensation, and while routinely grappling with gender-based discrimination. A Day Without a Woman and the International Women’s Strike will demonstrate this enormous economic power–and we will use our financial strength to demand more for women workers everywhere.
NOW will be closing our offices on this powerful day of action, and encouraging our staff to take to the streets in support of women’s economic equality. We hope that you will get out and take action in your community, too.
Here’s where I’ll be:
- Resist Trump: Stop the Gag, Freedom Plaza, 11 a.m.: Marching to the White House with the Feminist Majority in fierce opposition to Donald Trump’s dangerous global gag rule–which restricts abortion access and endangers women’s lives worldwide.
- Women Workers Rising Rally, Department of Labor, 3:30p p.m.: Standing with Restaurant Opportunities Centers (ROC) United and One Billion Rising to demand that the Department of Labor affirm fair treatment of women workers.
Here’s what activists can do, from A Day Without a Woman organizers:
- Take the day off from paid and unpaid labor
- Shop only at small, women-, and minority-owned business
- Wear RED in solidarity with A Day Without a Woman
Women’s wallets are powerful weapons. On Wednesday we will rise in support of economic justice–because the voices of women workers will not be silenced.
You have used up your free articles for this month. To continue reading click here to login or subscribe.