By Gary Kopycinski, Editor and Publisher,
Rosemary Piser, Associate Editor,
eNews Park Forest
Our pick for judge in the 15th Subcircuit, Phelan vacancy, is Judge John C. Griffin of Palos Heights. Griffin has four opponents, and was appointed to the bench in 2008. He sits in the Chancery Division.
Judge Griffin is a true Democrat. One of his opponents in the Democratic Primary is a life-long Republican who is seeking election in 2010 as a Democrat. This opponent has stated that he recognizes that it’s impossible to be elected from this region as a Republican. This opponent has been Republican supervisor in Bloom Township for several years (having defeated now State Senator Toi Hutchinson when she ran as the Democratic candidate for supervisor in 2005).
When endorsing judges, we rely on the experts, especially experts who belong to bar associations.
The Chicago Council of Lawyers found Judge Griffin qualified, writing:
Judge Griffin was admitted to practice in 1976. For 31 years he was in private practice primarily handling real estate, zoning and development-related matters. In March 2008, he was appointed by the Illinois Supreme Court to a judicial vacancy. He has served in Traffic Court and currently presides over mortgage foreclosure matters in the Foreclosure/Mechanic’s Lien Section. Judge Griffin is reported to have good legal ability and an excellent temperament. He had a good reputation as a hard-working and knowledgeable attorney and is praised for his courtroom management skills and for being well-prepared. The Council finds him Qualified for the Circuit Court.
In addition, Judge Griffin has been found qualified or recommended (per each organization’s policies) by all associations performing review, a diverse and eclectic representation:
- The Chicago Bar Association – Qualified
- Illinois State Bar Association – Qualified
- Cook County Bar Association – Recommended
- Chicago Council of Lawyers – Qualified
- Women’s Bar Association of Illinois – Recommended
- Lesbian and Gay Bar Association of Chicago – Recommended
- Puerto Rican Bar Association of Illinois – Highly Qualified
- The Decalogue Society of Lawyers – Recommended
- Asian American Bar Association – Recommended
- Hellenic Bar Association of Illinois – Recommended
- Black Women Lawyers’ Association of Greater Chicago, Inc. – Recommended
We give Judge John C. Griffin our highest recommendation, and encourage all in the 15th Subcircuit to vote for him.