Washington, DC–(ENEWSPF)–February 25, 2017
If you’ve been following news this week, there’s no doubt you’ve read/heard about the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), where White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon made a dangerous and odious threat against the media. This was followed by Donald Trump echoing the same message while barring some reputable, truth-seeking news groups including The New York Times from a White House briefing, an unprecedented act against the media, the freedom of the press, and the nation’s First Amendment.
The legendary newsman Dan Rather took to social media to share his straight-shooting views, experience and wisdom regarding the latest derelictions from the White House. Here is his Facebook post in full.
The time for normalizing, dissembling, and explaining away Donald Trump has long since passed. The barring of respected journalistic outlets from the White House briefing is so far beyond the norms and traditions that have governed this republic for generations, that they must be seen as a real and present threat to our democracy. These are the dangers presidents are supposed to protect against, not create.
For all who excused Mr. Trump’s rhetoric in the campaign as just talk, the reckoning has come. I hope it isn’t true, but I fear Mr. Trump is nearing or perhaps already beyond any hope of redemption. And now the question is will enough pressure be turned to all those who enable his antics with their tacit encouragement. There has been a wall of unbending support from virtually every Republican in Congress, and even some Democrats. Among many people, this will be seen as anything approaching acceptable. And mind you, talk is cheap. No one needs to hear how you don’t agree with the President. What are you going to do about it? Do you maintain that an Administration that seeks to subvert the protections of our Constitution is fit to rule unchecked? Or fit to rule at all?
This is an emergency that can no longer be placed solely at the feet of President Trump, or even the Trump Administration. This is a moment of judgement for everyone who willingly remains silent. It is gut check time, for those in a position of power, and for the nation
We need this. Thank you, Dan Rather. To read more essays by this giant in journalism, visit his Facebook page HERE.
- Dan Rather says Trump is worse than Nixon & as for Bannon: We won’t shut up—answer the questions
- Dan Rather launches newsgroup to counter fake news & alternative facts (Viral)
- Thank you, Dan Rather, for the Daily Kos shoutout & supporting grassroots
- Dan Rather: Media must end GOP interviews if they can’t answer THIS
- Dan Rather: Nuclear arms not for the ‘petulant’ to boast
- Dan Rather addresses WSJ’s treatment of Trump lies
- Dan Rather: ‘To call Trump a con is a disservice to the art’
- Dan Rather: ‘Now is not the time for us to remain silent’
- Dan Rather: Trump’s Hillary threats were of a ’tyrant’
- Dan Rather humbled by social media explosive response
- Dan Rather on Trump’s speech: ‘It was red meat…’
- Dan Rather: Hillary Clinton was steel—Trump dangled