CHICAGO–(ENEWSPF)–November 8, 2011. The Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs (IDVA) on Monday (November 14th) will honor Bob Gibson, a Woodstock resident and U.S. Navy veteran, as its November 2011 “Veteran of the Month” during a ceremony at 10 a.m. (CST) at Hearthstone Community Building, 840 N. Seminary Ave., in Woodstock, Ill.
“Bob Gibson not only served his country in uniform, but he has dedicated himself by volunteering his time in the community and for fellow veterans,” said IDVA Director Erica Borggren. “I am extremely proud that we are able honor Mr. Gibson for his service during World War II and here at home in McHenry County.”
“Bob is the most active senior I know,” said State Representative Jack Franks (D-Woodstock) in his nomination of Mr. Gibson. “He generously donates his time to his community and neighbors, including volunteering for my district office. His assistance greatly enhances office productivity and, since much of Bob’s community impact is one-on-one, he is not someone who gets a lot of recognition for his contributions to society.”
The Illinois Veteran of the Month award is a distinction bestowed upon military veterans who give back to their communities. Gibson, who served from 1942-1945 in the Pacific Theater, is being honored for his impact on his local community.
Gibson’s personal, professional and community achievements include:
- For his World War II service, he earned the Asiatic Pacific Area Campaign Medal, Good Conduct Medal, and the World War II Victory Medal
- Union steward for Dean Foods
- Volunteer for State Representative Jack Franks’ district office in Woodstock
- Active member of Woodstock VFW Post 5040, including driving members to VA hospital in Chicago for health care. In 2006, he was honored with Superior VFW Member Award.
- Member of Honor Guard Rifle Squad, attending funerals for local veterans ensuring that each receives a 21-gun salute
The “Veteran of the Month” award highlights the work of community organizers who are also military veterans. Each month the Department recognizes a different person or group that contributes to the betterment of communities across the state of Illinois. To nominate a “Veteran of the Month,” please visit IDVA’s website at veterans.illinois.gov to obtain a list of guidelines and a nomination form.