Local Police Reports

Lundeby Sentenced in Telephone Bomb Threat Hoax

South Bend, IN-(ENEWSPF)- The United States Attorney’s Office announced:

Ashton Lundeby, 18, of Oxford, North Carolina, was sentenced by Judge Robert Miller, Jr., to 22 months’ imprisonment (time served), and three years of supervised release, after pleading guilty to count one of an indictment charging him with conspiracy to commit one or more offenses against the United States by willfully making threats and maliciously conveying false information concerning attempts to kill, injure, or intimidate individuals and to unlawfully damage or destroy buildings by means of fire or explosives. Judge Miller also ordered restitution of $1,892.70 to the Purdue University Police Department, $7.806.38 to the Tippecanoe Prosecutor’s Office, and $19,517.47 to the Hamden, Connecticut public schools. The court granted the government’s request for a downward departure due to Lundeby’s substantial cooperation in the investigation

In January, 2009, Lundeby placed a telephone call to the Indiana University Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW) police department located in Fort Wayne, Indiana. During that call, he falsely claimed that bombs had been placed at locations on the campus and that they would detonate.

In February, 2009, Lundeby and others working together placed several telephone calls to the Purdue University Police Department located in West Lafayette, Indiana. During one or more of the calls, he falsely claimed that bombs had been placed at locations on the campus and that they would detonate.

On other dates, between the IPFW call in January, 2009, and his arrest on about March 6, 2009, he and the others with whom he was working placed hoax bomb threat calls to other locations such as the University of North Carolina, Clemson University, Florida State University, Boston College, Hamden High School, West Hempfield Middle School, and two FBI offices (Monroe, Louisiana and Pueblo, Colorado).

These charges were filed as the result of an investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, the Tippecanoe County Prosecutor’s Office, the Purdue Police Department, the Tippecanoe County Police Department, the Lafayette Police Department, and the West Lafayette Police Department . This case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Kenneth Hays.