Park Forest, IL–(ENEWSPF)– Eight area students will be each awarded $1,000 scholarships by the South Suburban Association of Chiefs of Police (SSACOP) at today’s association’s regular meeting in Oak Forest . The students include:
- Stephanie Camilli, Chicago Heights , from Homewood Flossmoor H.S.
- Aimee Dayhoff, Western Springs, from Lyons Township H.S.
- Matthew Gustafson, Oak Forest , from Brother Rice H.S.
- Elizabeth Hilton, Tinley Park , from Victor J. Andrew H.S.
- Curtis Rempson, Olympia Fields, from Rich Central H.S.
- Sean Ryan, Schererville, from Lake Central H.S.
- Brandon Tilton, South Chicago Heights , from Marian Catholic H.S.
- Thomas Touhy, Oak Lawn, currently attending St. Ambrose University .
The scholarships were awarded under the Police and Support Staff Dependent College Scholarship program of the Association to high school seniors or current college students who are dependents of police officers or support staff members of a law enforcement agency whose chief belongs to SSACOP. Thanks to successful fund raising through its annual COP HOP event, SSACOP was able to provide these eight scholarships. Forty-two students applied for the scholarships and the winners were chosen because of their demonstrated high level of service to the community.
This scholarship program is in addition to the association’s James Wade Memorial Scholarship program that provides assistance for students who are furthering their education with the intention of entering the law enforcement profession. Between these two programs, SSACOP has awarded $10,000 in scholarships to deserving students in 2009.
SSACOP is comprised of police chiefs and police command officers from Federal, state, county, and local law enforcement agencies throughout the south and southwestern suburbs of Chicago . Park Forest Police Chief Thomas Fleming is the president of SSACOP.