Police Report – August 13, 2007


The Park Forest Police Station. (Photo: Wendy Heise)

Park Forest, IL—(ENEWSPF)— Editor’s Note: We continue our reporting on news from police reports. Besides covering the many stories from around Park Forest that otherwise might go unnoticed, we want to bring more complete coverage of police reports than is reported by other local media.

An arrest does not mean that a person is guilty. All those arrested are presumed innocent until proven guilty. It is the policy of eNews Park Forest to not remove items in the public record from publication. If your name is listed in the police reports, we will only add information relevant to the final disposition of the case at hand, e.g. "Mr. Smith was subsequently acquitted," or "All charges against Mr. Smith were subsequently dropped." We will do so upon receiving and verifying proof of such disposition.

We will always include some introductory comments before the first item. While everything that follows is a matter of public record, we do not believe it is necessary to have names on page one.

On August 2 police were dispatched to 228 Allegheny to investigate a disturbance incident. Upon arrival, police observed a group of female juveniles on the sidewalk arguing in front the location. The group immediately dispersed once officer’s arrived. Police had dispersed the same group of juveniles earlier due to a verbal altercation. While on the scene, the group of juveniles began to have physical altercations.  Four of the juveniles were handcuffed and transported to the Park Forest police department. Three of the juveniles were arrested, issued M – Tickets and charged with battery, and one was issued an M – Ticket and charged with disorderly conduct. The juveniles were released to their parents from the Park Forest police department.

On August 6, police were dispatched to the 400 block of Watseka in reference to a stabbing. Upon arrival, police spoke with the juvenile victim who reported he was riding his bike past the skate park at Forest Trail when another juvenile began to chase him. The juvenile then allegedly knocked the victim off his bike and then struck the victim in the side with a hair comb pick, causing a small cut in the victim’s left side. Police later located the juvenile subject who reported the two were racing bikes, when he removed the comb pick from his hair. The juvenile then began to fall, accidentally striking the victim in the side. The juvenile then rode away after asking if the victim was okay. No arrests were made.

On August 6, police were dispatched to 385 Sauk Trail, Marathon Gas Station, to investigate an armed robbery. Police spoke with a witness, who reported a male black subject walked into the store and selected several small bags of potato chips and two bottles of soda pop. The subject brought the items to the counter and asked to use the washroom. When the subject walked toward the washroom, he pulled open the unlocked security door which leads to behind the counter. The suspect then approached the witness and said “Gimme all the money!” The witness then opened the cash drawer and backed away. The suspect took and unknown amount of U.S. currency from the cash drawer. The suspect then shoved an unknown object into the witness’s stomach and told him to go to the backroom. The suspect attempted to lock the door from the outside with the key and fled. The suspect took the key with him. After several minutes, the witness realized the door had not been locked. The witness then locked the door to the store and called 911. Police secured the bags of potato chips and soda pop as evidence.

A “Kenwood” brand television monitor was reported stolen from a vehicle when police responded to 540 Homan to investigate a report of burglary to a motor vehicle on August 10.

On August 10, police were dispatched to 520 Homan to investigate a report of burglary a motor vehicle. Police discovered a vehicle with a broken passenger side window. Upon investigation, police observed that the stereo appeared to be forcibly torn from the center console. The owner of the vehicle later reported only the stereo was stolen from the vehicle. Also on August 10, police discovered another vehicle at the same location with a broken window which also appeared to have there stereo forcibly removed.

While on patrol on Main Street on August 10, police observed three suspicious juveniles with bicycles on the North side of the Park Forest Village Hall, 350 Victory Boulevard. Police observed the juveniles park their bicycles on the sidewalk and allegedly pull on the door handles of several doors on the north side of Village Hall. The juveniles pulled on the North West door that had apparently been left unlocked and entered the building. Prior to entering the building, the three juveniles observed the officer and fled south bound in the building. The three juveniles exited Village Hall through a south fire exit door where they were stopped by the officer. The three juveniles told police they had entered the building with the intention of getting some water. All three juveniles were taken into custody without further incident.  All three juveniles were arrested, issued municipal citations, and charged with trespassing.