CHICAGO—(ENEWSPF)—December 17, 2015. Nine days after mass multi-hour protest marched through downtown, Chicagoans will again walk out of work and school and converge on Daley Plaza to demand the resignation of the Mayor and the State’s Attorney.
The second city-wide walkout to call for resignation of Mayor Rahm Emanuel will take place at Daley Center Plaza, 50 W Washington St, Chicago, on Friday, December 18 at 3:15 p.m.
Calls for an end to the Mayor’s tenure because of the cover-up of the police murder of Laquan McDonald have not and will not be dampened.
In the more than a week since the previous mass walkout to demand the Mayor’s resignation, the Mayor–and the Chicago Police Department for which he is ultimately responsible as the city’s chief executive–continues to operate without transparency or accountability:
- Continued denial of FOIA request for the release of videos of Cedrick Chatman’s shooting by police
- Absence of any Chicago Police Department representative to testify at Tuesday’s Homan Square hearings
- City Hall not only continues to allow Homan Square to operate, they continue to deny illegal activity takes place at Homan Square
- Yet another acquittal in a police misconduct case despite DNA evidence and chronic, brutal history of misconduct on part of police officer Glenn Evans
- No dismissal or indictment for the officers on the scene of McDonald’s murder who lied about what took place that night
- New email evidence of mayor’s underlings obfuscating the circumstances of McDonald’s execution
- Mayor remaining in hiding for past week, attending only non-public events to avoid protesters and the media
The mayor is clearly not serious about reforming his office and the Chicago Police Department and the apartheid system of justice that results in the disproportionate death, torture and abuse of citizens of color.
If he were, he would understand that suppressing the video of the police murder of McDonald to protect his re-election chances is an unforgivable act on the part of an elected official. If he were, he would understand that State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez delay in pursuing justice for McDonald’s death is justice denied.
The city of Chicago has endured decades of autocratic leadership under mayors who ignored the public will and destroyed the public trust with impunity.
Chicagoans will no longer let a mayor paper over his crime with a tear-stained mea culpa. Mayor Rahm Emanuel must step down and be replaced with someone who fully understands that s/he serves at the pleasure of the people. Only the resignation of the mayor can begin to restore the fundamentals of a democratically-controlled government to this city.
EVENT PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/events/939080906176194/
Source: #ResignRahm #ByeAnita
You have used up your free articles for this month. To continue reading click here to login or subscribe.