Unanimous rejection of Trump on #MuslimBan, and Oak Park passes the strongest Welcoming Village ordinance in the state
Oak Park, IL–(ENEWSPF)–February 10, 2017. Another legal defeat was handed to Donald Trump tonight as the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals rejected his administration’s request for the reinstatement of the executive order banning immigrants from seven Arab, African, or Muslim-majority countries. Late last week, a Seattle judge had instituted a nationwide restraining order against the #MuslimBan, which halted its implementation across the entire U.S.
“It cannot be overstated that this victory was won because of protest and Unity in Resistance, our theme these past few weeks,” said Muhammad Sankari of the AAAN. “The tens of thousands of people that took to the streets and airports across the U.S. provided the conditions for this legal victory.”
It is anticipated that Trump will continue to fight the case all the way to the Supreme Court. Currently, all valid visa-holders are able to travel to the U.S., but the Arab American Action Network (AAAN) and our legal advisors and other allies ask that all travelers and their families remain vigilant. There are still reports of targeting and profiling by Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) at airports.
In addition, the AAAN continues to warn legal permanent residents that they should NOT sign any documents presented to them by CBP without consultation of an attorney–regardless of the threats of detention or deportation.
“These last 18 days have been among the worst for our immigrant Muslim brothers and sisters,” Mony Ruiz-Velasco, Executive Director of PASO, said. “Immigration is about human beings finding safety, security, and a better life. It’s about people, not politics. I feel privileged to be a part of this movement in Oak Park. It has been proven these policies will make our communities safer and stronger.”
You have used up your free articles for this month. To continue reading click here to login or subscribe.