Kidnapping on Tamarack – Victim Found Safe

Park Forest, IL—(ENEWSPF)— Park Forest Police Chief Tom Fleming issued a press release on this date at 2:00 p.m. in reference to the alleged kidnapping by Lester Muhammad of a 24 year old victim from Tamarack St.

According to the report, on Thursday, April 12th, 2007 at 11:05 p.m., Park Forest Police patrol units responded to a single family residence in the 400 block of Tamarack St, Will County, in reference to an armed home invasion and kidnapping.  Responding units learned from the family that the offender, a former boyfriend, thirty year old Lester Muhammad, had kicked in the front door and forced the twenty four year old female victim at gunpoint into his vehicle and fled the scene.

Park Forest Police Investigators and Tactical Officers responded to the crime scene and worked throughout the early morning hours to locate the victim, according to the release.  The offender’s vehicle was located in the parking lot of the Colony Apartments on Steger Road in Steger, Illinois.  Information was learned that the offender regularly frequents two different apartments. At approximately 2:30 a.m., Park Forest Police Detective Investigators set up a surveillance of two apartment buildings in the complex.  During that time the Will County States Attorney’s Office was consulted and advised of the situation. 

This morning, at 10:15 a.m., the investigating team initiated a tactical rescue and assaulted both apartments consecutively.  The victim was located and rescued from the second apartment. She was being held in a bedroom by the offender.  Also located in that bedroom was a 24 year old male subject, and the four year old son of Muhammad (no relation to the victim).  Investigators seized a loaded pistol grip shotgun, a loaded AR-15 assault rifle, $9,000 United States currency and a quantity of cocaine and cannabis from the bedroom.

The victim was physically unharmed and reunited with her family.  Muhammad and the second subject were taken to the Park Forest Police Station.  The four year old child was placed in the custody of his grandfather.  The investigation continues and formal criminal charges will follow.

eNews Park Forest will update this story as new information becomes available.

Source: Park Forest Police Department Press Release