Agency Details Lane Closures to Aid Motorists’ Travel Plans
SPRINGFIELD—(ENEWSPF)—November 20, 2012. With thousands of motorists expected to travel on state roadways during the Thanksgiving holiday, the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) announced today that non-emergency road work will be suspended where possible to reduce congestion and improve traffic flow. IDOT also provided advance notice of lane closures that will be in place for the holiday weekend to aid motorists’ travel plans and boost safety.
“Driving zero roadway fatalities to reality is IDOT’s overall goal. During the Thanksgiving holiday, we will again suspend all non-emergency road work on state roadways, where possible, to improve traffic flow and to kick-start the heavily traveled weekend,” said Illinois Transportation Secretary Ann L. Schneider. “To reduce potential roadway congestion and improve safety, we are also providing a list of lane closures on our website, with a breakdown by county, to help motorists plan their trips.”
Starting at 3 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 21, IDOT will suspend all non-emergency road work for the holiday and open up all lanes where possible through midnight Sunday, Nov. 25. Some construction zones will have lane closures in effect, depending on the projects.
IDOT is urging motorists to slow down, obey posted speed limits and drive with caution through work zones. Holiday travelers are reminded that work zone speed limits are still in effect wherever they are posted, even where no construction workers are present.
Following are locations where permanent lane closures remain in place:
IDOT Highway District 1:
- 71st St. at CSX Railroad in Bridgeview; road reconstruction; road is closed with detour posted.
- Wolf Road over Palatine Road; bridge rehabilitation in Prospect Heights; one lane open in each direction.
- Sibley Blvd., from Torrence Ave. to State Line Road, in Calumet City. Lane two in each direction of Sibley Blvd. is closed to traffic.
- US 12/20/45 over S & S and I & M canals; bridge deck overlay; northbound two lanes are open and southbound has one lane open.
- Ashland Ave., from Thorton Road to Broadway St., in Dixmoor and Riverdale. One lane closed in each direction for sewer construction; expect delays.
- 71st St., from Roberts Road to Harlem Ave. in Bridgeview; grade separation improvement; road closed to thru traffic and detour signs posted.
- IL Rt. 1/Halsted St. at I-80/294 (Tristate Tollway) in Homewood and Harvey. One lane closed in each direction for bridge reconstruction. Anticipate delays.
- Joe Orr Rd. over IL Rt. 394 is closed and traffic is detoured for bridge reconstruction work. This is between Cottage Grove Ave. and Stony Island Ave. in Glenwood and Ford Heights area. Allow extra time for trips and follow the marked detour.
- Crawford Ave. over I-57 south of 159th St. in Markham. One lane is closed in each direction for bridge reconstruction work. Anticipate delays.
- Skokie Blvd. and Old Orchard Road in Skokie will have median lane closures.
- Kedzie Ave. over I-57 north of 159th St. in Markham. One lane is closed in each direction for bridge reconstruction work. Anticipate delays.
- IL 50/Cicero Ave. over Cal-Sag Channel, south of 127th St. in Crestwood/Alsip area. One lane closed in each direction for bridge rehabilitation work. Anticipate delays.
- IL 50/Cicero Ave. at CSX railroad, just south of 115th St. in Alsip. One lane closed in each direction for bridge work; expect delays.
- IL 43/Harlem Ave. north of 171st St. in Tinley Park. One lane closed in each direction for culvert work; anticipated delays.
- 5th Ave. over Silver Creek in Melrose Park closed; bridge replacement for structure; detour posted.
- Orchard Drive from Sauk Trail to US 30; Park Forest is closed to traffic in southbound direction; northbound direction is open to traffic; detour signs posted.
- IL Route 56, from east of Naperville Road to west of IL Route 59; one lane open in each direction. Warrenville Road at IL 56, one lane open in each direction.
- IL 53, from Army Trail Road to Elgin O’Hare Expressway in Addison and Itasca; roadway reconstruction; one lane open in each direction.
- Joliet St. will be closed over Kress Creek in West Chicago for culvert box removal.
- IL 31 at METRA railroad; bridge rehabilitation in Elgin; one lane open in each direction.
- Grand Blvd. at Veterans Circle in Brookfield; roadway reconstruction; road closed with detour posted.
- IL 72 at Randall Road; intersection reconstruction in Gilberts; one lane open in each direction.
- US 20 at McLean Blvd.; interchange reconstruction in Elgin; two lanes open in each direction.
- IL 64, from east 13th Ave. to west of 7th Ave.; two lanes open in each direction.
- IL 22, from I-94 to east of IL 43; one lane open in each direction with left turn lanes at signalized intersections.
- IL 21, from south of IL 120 to south of IL 137; ongoing utility work.
- Bridge replacement carrying IL 176 (Rockland Road) over East Skokie ditch in Lake
Bluff; one lane open in each direction and controlled by signals.
- Deerfield Road over East Skokie Ditch in Highland Park; superstructure replacement;
one lane open in each direction; ramp is closed from westbound Deerfield Road to
Northbound US 41; detour posted.
- Russell Road over I-94 closed; detour posted.
- Rakow Road, from IL 31 to Ackerman Road in Crystal Lake; reconstruction; one lane open in each direction.
- Cary Community Trail, from Three Oaks to South Rawson Blvd.; road closure; detour posted.
- IL Route 31; pavement reconstruction; one lane open in each direction; Virginia Road at IL 31 is closed.
- Edgewood Road closed east of Hanson Road in Algonquin.
- US 20 from I-94 to east of IL 43; one lane is open in each direction with left turn lanes at signalized intersections.
- Walkup Road, south of IL 176 in Crystal Lake, is closed for pavement reconstruction.
- IL 62, from MCCD Prairie Path to IL 31; one lane is open in each direction.
- Pingree Road, from Congress Parkway to railroad tracks in Crystal Lake, is closed for pavement reconstruction.
- Bridge over branch of Nippersink Creek at Alden Road is being reconstructed from IL 173; one lane is open with bridge signal.
- US 30/Lincoln Highway, between Cedar Road and Harlem Ave. in Frankfort, Mokena and New Lenox; road reconstruction; one lane open in each direction; anticipate delays.
- IL 50 at Court St. in Monee; roadway construction; one lane open in each direction; anticipate delays.
- IL 171 (State St.) north of 8th St. in Lockport; road closed for culvert reconstruction; detour posted; anticipate longer travel time due to longer detour route.
- IL 53, from Peotone Road to Hoff Road near Wilmington and Elwood; roadway resurfacing; one lane open in each direction with traffic on northbound lanes.
IDOT Highway District 2
- US 20 east of East Dubuque; one lane open in each direction as four bridges over Menominee River and the Little Menominee River are replaced.
- IL 2 at the south edge of Oregon. Replacement of the bridge over the BNSF Railroad; one lane open and controlled by temporary traffic signals.
- US 52/IL 26 at north edge of Polo; bridge replacement over BNSF Railroad; one lane open and controlled by temporary traffic signals.
- I-90 from Rockton Road to the Wisconsin State line at South Beloit. Two lanes are open in each direction on the southbound lanes as the northbound pavement is being removed and replaced.
IDOT Highway District 3:
- no lane closures planned
IDOT Highway District 4
- IL 136 has one lane open in each direction with traffic on temporary runaround west of Macomb.
- I-474 at the Illinois River will have one lane open in the eastbound direction for bridge repairs.
- IL 6/IL 29 ramps will be routed on to temporary pavement.
IDOT Highway District 5
- Champaign County Highway 50 (Lake of the Woods Road) over I-74. Traffic signals are being utilized.
IDOT Highway District 6;
- no lane closures planned
IDOT Highway District 7
- IL 16, east of Charleston; bridge replacement; stage construction with barrier wall and traffic signals in place.
- I-57/70, southwest of Effingham; major road and bridge reconstruction; stage construction with barrier wall.
- I-57/70 around Effingham; major road reconstruction; stage construction with barrier wall.
- IL 33, east of Dieterich; bridge replacement; stage construction with traffic signals in place.
- IL 33, west of Newton; culvert replacement; stage construction with traffic signals in place.
- IL 121, east of Dalton City; bridge replacement; stage construction with traffic signals in place.
- IL 15 at Golden Gate; bridge replacements; stage construction with barrier and traffic signals in place.
IDOT Highway District 8
- IL 162 over I-55/70 at Troy. At least one lane and turn lanes will be open in each direction during work to complete reconstruction of interchange.
ST. CLAIR COUNTY
- 9th St. will be closed to all traffic from St. Clair Ave. to Baugh Ave. in E. St. Louis; bridge replacement carrying 9th Street over I-64. Detour will be in place while the 9th St. bridge is being reconstructed.
- 10th St. over I-64 will be removed and closed to traffic from St. Clair Ave. to Baugh Ave. in E. St. Louis. 9th St., when completed, will become two-way traffic in order to continue flow from St. Clair Ave. to Baugh Ave. in East St. Louis. A detour will be in place while the 9th St. bridge is being reconstructed.
- IL 3 will be closed at Union Pacific Railroad and Prairie DuPont Canal overpass, between Cahokia and Dupo to completely replace the structure.
- Ramp from westbound I-55/70 to northbound IL 3 will be closed to all traffic in E. St. Louis. Detour will be in place while ramp is being reconstructed.
- Ramp from westbound I-64 to eastbound I-70 and northbound I-55 will be closed to all traffic in E. St. Louis; detour will be in place while ramp is being reconstructed.
IDOT Highway District 9
FRANKLIN/ PERRY/WILLIAMSON COUNTIES
- IL 14, located 4.5 miles east of US 51, has one lane closed due to bridge construction; temporary signals in place.
- IL 37, located .5 mile south of W. Franklin, has one lane closed due to bridge construction; temporary signals in place.
- I-57 at mile marker 54 will have northbound I-57 reduced to one lane at IL Route 13.
- IL 4, located .5 mile west of IL 13/127 will have road closure due to bridge replacement at Beaucoup Creek. Marked detour is in place.
- IL 151, located 4 miles north of IL 3, has one lane of bridge construction and temporary signals in place.
- IL 13, located east edge of Murphysboro, will have lane closures and shift with median crossover; bridge replacement.
- Southbound I-57 lane and eastbound I-64 lane has traffic reduced to one lane prior to the I-57/I-64 merge north of Mt. Vernon; reconstruction of existing lanes and addition of third lane on I-57/I-64.
- I-64, 2.5 miles southeast of Mt. Vernon, will have one lane closed for bridge repair, with temporary signals in place.
- IL 145, located 4 miles south of IL 146, has one lane controlled by signals for bridge work.
- IL 146, located 7 and 4 miles north of Golconda, has one lane of traffic at each location controlled by signals; bridge work.
- US 45, located 2.5 miles south of Mill Shoals, has one lane of bridge construction
with temporary signals in place.