Hoping for a New Sidewalk? Don’t Crack Up Waiting. Check Out VOPF’s 50/50 Program

Can’t wait to get your sidewalk replaced? There’s a plan. (Photo: ENEWSPF)

Park Forest, IL-(ENEWSPF)- Can’t wait to get your sidewalk replaced? Don’t let yourself fall to pieces waiting. You might want to try Park Forest’s 50/50 program.

According to officials, the Village’s sidewalk replacement funds go to public safety issues first – typically where there are displacements in the concrete of more than an inch. Limited funds are used to replace the worst sidewalks in town as assessed on an annual basis.

However, if the sidewalk in front of your home is in need of repair, there is a program in place to assist residents with the cost of sidewalk replacement.

According to the VOPF website:

Sidewalk/Curb at new driveway replacement

If a resident would like to replace their driveway, the Village will pay 100 percent of the cost of the removal and replacement of the curb and public sidewalk fronting said driveway within the Village right-of-way. The installation will need to be done according to the Village specifications.

Separate sidewalk replacement

If a resident wishes to replace sidewalk within the right-of-way that the Village does not consider deficient, the Village will pay 50 percent of the cost of the replacement. This will include the cost of sidewalk through a driveway that is not being replaced.

The installation should be done according to the Village specifications.

Reimbursement limits

Funds available to residents through the sidewalk reimbursement program will be limited to the unit costs in the separate yearly Public Works concrete contract. A resident may choose a contractor whose fees are more than that of the Public Works contract, but the resident will be responsible for the difference in cost.


The Park Forest Sidewalk Program will be administered in the order in which applications are received. Funds are allocated every fiscal year. An application may be postponed to the following year if funds are no longer available for the current fiscal year.

How to apply

A resident interested in applying for the program should contact the Department of Public Works to fill out an application prior to construction. A sketch of what is to be done with approximate dimensions should be provided. Additionally, the resident should include a quote from a Park Forest licensed contractor doing the work for the full scope of the project.

How do I obtain my reimbursement?

Once the work is done, the resident should provide a copy of the full contractor invoice to the Department of Public Works. At that time, DPW will verify that the work was completed to Village standards. If the work is accepted, the Village will process payment to the homeowner for the approved amount. The homeowner should not pay the contractor until DPW has approved the work. Any damages done in the right-of-way by the contractor will be deducted from the reimbursement amount.

For any additional questions regarding the program, please contact the Department of Public Works at 708-

The next path you walk might lead you to more picturesque curb-side appeal.

Summer and Fall at Prairie State College