High Speed Chase Ends Better Than Driver Feared

Park Forest, IL—(ENEWSPF)— A driver took police on a high-speed chase through streets on the south end of town last week, fearing he had an outstanding warrant. When it was all over, he learned his license was fine, there was no warrant, but he was looking at multiple traffic charges.

Around 2:35 p.m. on December 5, police were dispatched to the 100 block of Nanti to investigate a report of a disturbance in progress. While en route to that address, dispatchers advised that two subjects involved in the disturbance got into a dark colored vehicle and left the area westbound on Nanti.  Officer Julius Moore was traveling southbound on Indianwood when he observed a blue Nissan Altima occupied by two subjects traveling northbound on Indianwood from the area of Nanti.  Officer Moore turned his marked patrol car around, and attempted to catch up to the suspect vehicle.

The vehicle turned left onto Blackhawk as Officer Moore pulled up behind it.  Officer Moore activated his emergency lights and siren, attempting to curb the vehicle.  The vehicle accelerated and continued westbound on Blackhawk.  Officer Moore advised dispatch that the vehicle was refusing to stop and gave his location.  The vehicle turned right on Minocqua, and continued to accelerate at a high rate of speed.  The vehicle continued on Minocqua, improperly overtaking, according to police.  Officer Moore paced the vehicle, which reached a speed of 60 mph in a 30 mph zone.

As the vehicle approached the intersection of Minocqua and Shabbona, the vehicle turned left onto Shabbona without signaling, according to police.  The vehicle allegedly disobeyed the traffic control device at the intersection, nearly striking two vehicles that were traveling southbound on Shabbona.

The vehicle then rapidly accelerated, reaching speeds of 45 mph in a 20 mph school zone with students present outside, according to police.  As the vehicle continued south on Shabbona, the vehicle overtook another vehicle on the left, disregarding oncoming traffic, according to police.  The vehicle allegedly disobeyed the stop sign at Shabbona and Blackhawk, turning right onto Blackhawk. 

The vehicle finally pulled to the right, and came to a stop in front of a residence in the 300 block of Blackhawk.

Officer Studer, Commander Winfrey, and Detective Commander Greene responded to the location.  Officers conducted a felony stop on the vehicle and removed the driver and passenger without incident.

The driver of the vehicle, Johjuan D. Gardner, 24, 366 W. 16th Pl., Chicago Heights, had a valid drivers license, and stated that he was trying to get away because he thought he had an active warrant, according to police.

The passenger was processed and charged with failure to wear a seatbelt.

Gardner was arrested and charged with reckless driving, fleeing and attempting to elude a police officer, speeding, failure to signal, improper overtaking on the left, speeding in a school zone, disobeying a stop sign, and failure to wear a seatbelt.

Gardner posted his driver’s license as bond and was released.

Source: Police report