47 Year-Old Man Dies in Police Custody

Park Forest, IL–(ENEWSPF)– Park Forest Police Chief Thomas Fleming issued a press release Sunday regarding the death of 47 year old David Brown, who died while in police custody Saturday.

The release states that on March 17, 2007 at 8:19 p.m., Park Forest Police were called to a single family residence in the 200 block of Shabbona, in reference to an aggressive forty-seven year old subject with a history of mental illness, later identified as David Brown, who had severely battered his eighty-one year old father and forty-six year old brother.  Officers arrived at the home within two minutes of the dispatch to find that Brown had fled on foot from the home. 

The family later related that David Brown is a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic and is prescribed several antipsychotic medications. The elderly father was immediately transported and admitted to the hospital due to his injuries. The brother was later treated and released from the hospital, according to the release.

At 8:42 p.m., according to the release, David Brown was located by a Patrol Officer several blocks from his home.  When the Officer approached Brown to inquire about his condition, Brown charged the officer, tackling him, striking and clawing his face and head.  The officer struggled with Brown for several minutes while waiting for backup units to arrive.  The officer unsuccessfully deployed his Taser in attempts to control Brown. The officer’s K-9 partner then was deployed to assist the officer.  Brown punched and struck the police dog which allowed the officer to get to his feet. Additional Park Forest Police officers responded to assist taking Brown into custody, according to the release.   He was forcibly placed in handcuffs and paramedics responded to transport David Brown to a mental health emergency facility. 

While Brown was being placed in the ambulance, he experienced cardiac difficulties.  Park Forest Fire Department paramedics treated him on the way to the hospital and turned over care to emergency room staff at St. James Hospital in Chicago Heights.  Brown later expired at the hospital.  The Police Officer was treated for his injuries and released.

At 10:00 p.m., Park Forest Police Administration requested the Illinois State Police Public Integrity Unit and the Cook County Medical Examiner respond to investigate the in-custody death of David Brown. An autopsy will be performed by the Medical Examiner’s Office and a cause of death will be forthcoming, according to the release.

Source:  Park Forest Police Department