Park Forest, IL–(ENEWSPF)– The 1950s Park Forest House Museum, now located at 141 Forest Blvd (at the corner of Forest and Fir) is celebrating its 10th Anniversary by offering a coupon for two for the price of one admission, valid through October 31, 2008. The society is inviting the public to celebrate by stepping back into the 1950s with them. Regular admission to the museum is $5 for adults; children 12 and under are free with a paying adult.
The coupon can be found at the Park Forest Public Library, 400 Lakewood Blvd, and in the lobby at Village Hall, 350 Victory Drive.
Regular hours for the museum are Saturdays from 1-3 p.m. Group tours and field trips can be arranged. Guides are available to give a brief history of the Village and to describe social and fashion trends of the period.
The museum began as a project to kick off the 50th Anniversary of Park Forest, aptly named, the 50th Anniversary House Museum. Intended to be a two month, temporary exhibit, it came together so nicely that it has been around for 10 years. In 2008-2009, the Park Forest Historical Society is currently remembering the 60th anniversary of Park Forest.
In 2007, the museum closed temporarily and re-opened in December in its new home, sponsored by AIMCO and Central Park Townhomes. It is furnished as a rental unit might have been in the first five years of Park Forest, 1948-1953. One room is furnished as a classroom in Forest Blvd School, the first school in Park Forest which was in an 8-unit rental building.
The society has improved the museum in its new home, displaying more dolls, toys and clothing from the era, with special seasonal touches added. The museum is decorated for Christmas in December, and for a Valentine’s Day in February, including a 1950s era party in the classroom. Easter baskets, decorations and books are out in the spring. Currently, there are touches of fall and Halloween decorations on display. Those who visited the museum in its previous location are urged to come back through the doors, to see additions to the collection. The museum depends on visitors’ donations to stay open in its new location.
Since re-opening in December, 2007, and being listed in the March 2008 AARP Bulletin, the 1950s Park Forest House Museum has had visitors from 25 states, Norway and China.
The society hopes this 10th Anniversary coupon will encourage more local residents to come enjoy the museum, as those from out of state have.
For more information on the museum, contact Jane Nicoll, Museum Director at [email protected] or at her home, 708-481-4252. The museum and other work of the society can be viewed at www.parkforesthistory.org. Directions to the museum are included on the web site.