Washington, D.C.--(ENEWSPF)--February 9, 2012. The following key facts and related resources illustrate why the administration’s decision is a tremendous victory for women’s health and why the decision should be upheld.
- Twenty-eight states already mandate contraception coverage.
- The president's plan would exempt 355,000 churches and religious institutions from covering contraception.
- Polls show that majorities of Americans, including Catholics, favor requiring no-cost access to contraception.
- A rule has been in place since 2000 mandating that insurance companies who offer prescription coverage also cover contraception—with no exemption for religious institutions. The president’s plan provides for significant religious exemptions.
Related posts from ThinkProgress.org:
- Catholic Bishops Demand All Businesses Be Given The Right To Deny Women Contraception Coverage
- Six Republican Senators – Including Snowe And Collins – Co-Sponsored Federal Contraception Mandate in 2001
- Nation’s Largest Catholic University: We Offer ‘A Prescription Contraceptive Benefit’
- Over 600 Physicians, including 70 Catholics, Speak Out in Favor of HHS Contraception Ruling (Doctors for America)