- Category: Commentary
- Published on Thursday, 11 October 2012 10:39
- Written by Press Release
Pro-choice group will activate its 21,049 member activists in key race
Washington, D.C.--(ENEWSPF)--October 11, 2012. Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, announced yesterday that her organization’s political action committee endorsed pro-choice candidate, Elizabeth Warren to represent the Bay State in the U.S. Senate.
"I am proud to have NARAL Pro-Choice America support my election,” said Warren. “I believe that women also must have the full range of reproductive-health care options available to them, including access to contraception. My opponent, Scott Brown has an inconsistent record. He supported the Blunt amendment, which would have allowed a boss to deny employees coverage for birth control. Voters in Massachusetts deserve a senator who will be there for them all of the time."
Scott Brown has a record of supporting anti-choice measures including:
- Medical-Abortion Ban - In 2010, Brown voted to deny medical-abortion coverage to women in the new health-care system, even those using their own private funds to purchase health insurance.
- Anti-Woman Budget Bill - In 2011, Brown voted for a spending bill that proposed eliminating the Title X family-planning program, defunding Planned Parenthood, and reinstating the D.C. abortion ban.
- Pro-Choice Judicial Nominee - In 2011, Brown voted to block the nomination of pro-choice judicial nominee Goodwin Liu for the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- The Blunt Amendment – Just this spring, Brown voted to allow employers to refuse to cover birth control and any other health service required under the Affordable Care Act for virtually any reason.
“Elizabeth Warren is the clear pro-choice candidate in this race,” Keenan said. “Scott Brown’s support for anti-choice measures speaks volumes over any pro-choice record he claims to have. In the face of the War on Women, we are reminded why we must support leaders who will defend our rights to reproductive freedom and privacy and oppose those who simply straddle the fence. This is why elections matter. My organization will do all we can to support pro-choice candidates like Elizabeth Warren.”
Our affiliate, NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts, has been a leader in the state setting the record straight about Scott Brown’s deceptive pro-choice claims. Just last week, Sen. Brown told voters that extreme anti-choice Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia is his model justice. Scalia is stridently anti-choice and recently called Roe v. Wade and the court’s subsequent abortion-related decisions, “utterly idiotic.”
“Since he began serving in the U.S. Senate, Scott Brown’s voting record, his endorsement by the leading anti-choice organization in Massachusetts, and his support for anti-choice Supreme Court justice Scalia show that he sides with the anti-choice special interests far more often than not on issues of choice,” said Megan Amundson, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts. “We will not be fooled by his campaign’s attempt to mislead the public. Massachusetts voters want a leader who shares their belief in protecting women’s reproductive health, and Sen. Brown is out of touch with these values. Elizabeth Warren is the clear choice in this race, and we will drive this message home through November 6.”
NARAL Pro-Choice America PAC has given the maximum contribution of $10,000 to Warren’s campaign. The organization will activate its 21,049 members in Massachusetts and encourage them to support Warren’s election efforts.