Mayor Emanuel Launches 'Chicago Digital' Website to Connect Public to City's Digital Innovation Projects
- Category: Latest Local News
- Published on Monday, 07 January 2013 15:07
- Written by Press Release
Digital.CityofChicago.org is an online hub for data, tech and social media innovations from Mayor Emanuel’s Office; Public can connect to every City of Chicago official social media account, view multimedia, and discover web and smart phone applications built by Chicago developers
CHICAGO--(ENEWSPF)--January 7, 2013. Mayor Rahm Emanuel yesterday launched Chicago Digital (Digital.CityOfChicago.org), a new online resource that connects Chicagoans with innovative digital tools, offers increased access to the City’s technology initiatives and makes it easier to connect with City departments and agencies through social media. This is the first time the City has organized data science, technology and social media resources in one easy-to-use hub. The site also houses a gallery of web and smart phone applications built by local Chicago developers.
“As Chicago continues to lead in expanding open data, and using data to make City services more effective, we’re dedicated to finding new ways to involve Chicagoans in our continued efforts to improve and share innovation,” said Mayor Emanuel. “Bringing the City’s digital resources together in one place, as well as including applications from our booming technology community facilitates our commitment to collaboration and innovation and helps every Chicagoan better connect with what the City has to offer.”
The launch of Chicago Digital comes after the Mayor last month announced that Chicagoans can now interact with Chicago’s 311 system via text message, bringing additional accountability, accessibility and efficiency to the City’s services and increasing the ability of Chicagoans to interact with the City. With this new feature, texting CHICAGO to 311311 allows people to submit a service request, track the progress of the request, and sign-up to receive an email when the issue is resolved.
Chicago Digital is organized to bring information and resources to people’s fingertips, from the developer looking for City data to build an application to a resident trying to find new innovative smart phone apps or official social media accounts.
The site includes:
- Official City social media accounts in one simple chart
- Blog posts on digital initiatives, technology projects and data advancements
- Civic web and smart phone applications developed by private sector technologists
- Video produced by the City and archives of Mayor Emanuel’s live streamed events
- City Hall in Your Community map showing Mayor Emanuel’s visits across the City
- Images and behind-the-scenes photos of initiatives and events
- Developer resources including links to the City’s Data Portal and an online forum for discussion
Chicago Digital was built through collaboration between the Mayor’s Office and the Department of Innovation and Technology (DoIT).