MATTESON--(ENEWSPF)--December 21, 2012. Today Robin Kelly, candidate for Illinois’ second Congressional district reacted to the National Rifle Association’s press conference regarding guns in schools:
"I was shocked and appalled by the NRA's press conference today. Their failure to even consider any meaningful gun regulations proves the leadership of the NRA has no interest in public safety. Their ‘plan’ is offensive and would do NOTHING to protect a single child on the streets of Chicago and the Southland.
“Putting more guns in schools is just not the right solution. And we need someone in Congress who can be trusted to always stand up to these guys.
“It is for just this reason that, earlier this week, I challenged my fellow candidates for the second Congressional district seat to pledge their support to my anti-gun violence initiative:
- Pass a strong, comprehensive ban on assault weapons.
- Eliminate the gun show loophole, which currently allows felons and other prohibited individuals to evade background checks when purchasing firearms..
- Ban the types of high capacity ammunition magazines that were used in the shootings in Aurora, Colorado and Newtown, Connecticut.
- Pledge never to receive support from organizations that oppose reasonable gun safety legislation.
- Support Illinois’ current laws that prohibit conceal and carry permits.”